A Brief Interview by me to Tanel Veenre Please read and enjoy his words while you enter his Art World !
1. Where is your inspiration coming from ? It is the way to be in a dialogue with the world. I don't look for inspiration, it's there all the time. Creative process itself is a source for ideas.
2. What are you trying to communicate with your artwork ? I stand for the values that I believe as a human being: beauty, sensitivity, eros, faith.
3. Which material do you prefer to use and why? Lately I have been carving a lot of reconstructed stone and ebony. They both are kind of zero materials , just the density and color and big carved semiprecious stones. I have been tired of narrative materials, so I look for the ones I can fill with meanings.
4. How much value do you give to researching material for your creations? I am very material based, hands on thinker. It is a dialogue between me and materia, growing together.
5. Is it more important for you the process, or the final artwork itself ? There isn't one without the other ... But I can't deny the brief pleasure if I have a finished piece and it is smarter than I imagined.
6. Is there an artist you prefer and why? Hmmm ... I am addicted to the colors of being and that is my inspiration. It can be amazed by the drag culture or Instagram make-up artists, it can be body sculptures by Iris van Herpen or Graig Green, it can be piano concert by Rahmaninov ...
7. Have you ever thought to collaborate with other artists, or you like to work on your own? I have been collaborating many times with fashion designers and currently there is a big collection on the way with my partner Aldo Järvsoo where I create the fabrics and he does the cuts. It should have been launched May 5th but it's postponed for autumn - which is a luxury, there hasn't ever been more time to prepare a collection. But usually I prefer to be independent, freedom is one of my main motors.
8. Where do you feel you are at with this last collection ? That is a good question ... usually the real meaning reveal while looking back at the things. It might that I will move again towards more narrative and mythological art ... let's see, I don't plan much, I listen to my inner demons and live in a moment.
9. What have you discovered of yourself, are you sattisfied ? I am so grateful and lucky ... life couldn't be much better. Running a jewellery brand besides an art career has been a challenge but it´'s paying back, it gives me freedom to be my own boss. I appreciate that I can fill my days only with things I love.
10. Two words to describe your last artwork collection. Light but voluptuous. Tanel Veenre